What is Auckland Poker Run
The Auckland Poker Run is an exciting and unique event that combines the thrill of a boating adventure with the fun of a poker game. Here's an in-depth look at this engaging event:
2024 Auckland Poker Run Overview
- Date and Time: The 7th Annual Poker Run is scheduled for March 16, 2024, starting at 08:00 am (GMT+13:00).
- Hosted by: Iron Thunder MC South Auckland NZ.
- Location: South Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Event Link: For more details, visit allevents.in
About Iron Thunder MC South Auckland NZ Poker Run
- Fundraising Success: In the previous year, the event successfully raised $10,000, which was equally divided between the Middlemore Foundation (Auckland Spinal Unit) and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service.
- Sponsors and Acknowledgments: The event appreciates the generosity of sponsors such as The Country Inn, Red Fox Tavern, Bayview Hotel, and Kopu Station Hotel. Special thanks are also extended to the photographers and Iron Thunder MC club members who contribute significantly to the event's success
The Concept of Poker Runs
- Origin and Popularity: Originally more popular in the United States, poker runs have grown in popularity in New Zealand over the years.
- How It Works: Participants collect poker cards at various checkpoints throughout the event. The winner is the one with the best five-card hand at the end of the run.
- Not About Speed: In a poker run, having the fastest boat is not a requirement for winning. It’s about the strategy of collecting the best poker hand.
- Inclusivity: Anyone can enter a poker run, and the events have seen a diverse range of boats from jetskis to ski boats.
- Safety and Fun: Safety is paramount, with all crafts required to carry minimum safety equipment. The event is focused on fun and family-friendly activities
Route and Checkpoints
- Checkpoints: The participants collect poker cards from various checkpoints before, during, and after the event.
- Examples from Previous Runs: In a past event, the checkpoints included Pakatoa Island, Kawau Island, with a lunch stop at Pah Farm and the finish off Rangitoto Lighthouse.
- Final Card and Prizegiving: The final card is usually collected at the event headquarters, where the prizegiving ceremony is held
Why Attend the Auckland Poker Run?
- Community and Fundraising: It's an opportunity to be part of a community event that supports noble causes.
- Adventure and Strategy: The event combines the adventure of boating with the strategic aspects of poker.
- Family-Friendly: Designed to be enjoyable for the whole family, it's more than just a boating event.
In summary, the Auckland Poker Run is not just an event; it’s an experience that combines fun, community, and adventure. It’s a chance to enjoy the beautiful waters of Auckland, engage in a unique game of poker, and contribute to meaningful causes. Whether you're a boating enthusiast, a poker fan, or just looking for a fun day out with the family, this event promises a memorable experience for all.